[MRSSA News] FW: New Year with Rule Change

Larry Meany ldmeany1 at mchsi.com
Fri Jan 11 17:53:18 CST 2008

Subject: FW: New Year with Rule Change

I wanted everyone to know what I sent out, but the Comcast postmaster did
not like the number of names on my list

Happy New Year Everyone,

2007 was a challenging year for many with the economy being as it is, and I
see 2008 as also being very challenging for many.  I also see us overcoming
these to allow us to enjoy our sport.

The main reason for this email is to make sure everyone is aware of a
revised rule for individual acts competition.  That being for rule 2.09
which covers the end of the competition time for the individual acts.

2.09 Ending Time - The competition by the competitor shall end when the time
period allowed has elapsed or the competitor has ended its performance,
whichever comes first. An audible signal shall be given at such time.
Interpretation: If anytime following the end of the competition period,
there are skiers on the water with a tight line within the area defined for
beginning the competition period in Rule 2.08, there will be a 10% deduction
from the final score.

As you can see if the skier(s) are holding onto the ski rope within the 750
foot buoys when the horn sounds, they will receive a 10 % deduction from
their total score.  Yes 10 %, that is 5 % more than the worst safety
deduction.

This has been put in place to prevent any individual or team jump from going
on to perform after the horn sounds, as what happened by one of the jump
teams did at Wisconsin States and one of the National tournaments, where
they added an extra pass after the horn sounded.   This rule change also
insures that the judges stop scoring at the horn, even though that was my
understanding that is what they already did.

Some ideas that may help the skiers to help them meet this rule could be:

1)  Plan your acts to run for only 4 1/2 minutes long so that if you do
fall, you can still get picked up and brought back into the shore before the
horn sounds.

2)  Have some one in the boat have a stop watch and keep track of the time
to insure that you are back to shore in time or are in the water before the
horn blows (ride back to shore in the boat).

3)  Have some one on shore who can keep time for you while staying in radio
contact with the boat driver.

4)  Your dock routine may have to be shorten or done away with completely to
give you more water time.

Keep in mind if you fall, you are going to have to shorten your run to stay
under the 5 minute competition time !!

If you agree with this rule or not, and as you can tell I do not, this is
the rule that we have to work with for this year.  We can ask for a change
to this rule next November if needed.  If you feel that this rule is not
working, then please contact your Regional Rep to let them know of your
feelings on this.  Our NSSA Board tries very hard to keep the rules that
govern our sport as fair as possible for everyone, but they do need your
input, and not only on this rule.  We are all on this Board to help you
enjoy your/our sport.

I am sending this out to as many skiers as I have email addresses for, but
this affects everyone, so please pass this along to those that are not
listed in all regions, not just the Central region.  Everyone needs to
understand this rule if they are going to compete in Individual acts events
this year.

I do hope that 2008 will be a good year for each of you, and I look forward
to seeing and working with everyone this summer.  Be safe and have fun !

Kurt Bemman
Central Region Rep