[MRSSA News] Boat Regs for MN

mabortz at rockwellcollins.com mabortz at rockwellcollins.com
Wed Jul 23 09:42:31 CDT 2003

FYI-

--
Mark Bortz
Rockwell-Collins
mabortz at rockwellcollins.com

----- Forwarded by Mark A Bortz/CedarRapids/RockwellCollins on 07/23/2003
09:42 AM -----

                      <FRNTFLP at aol.com>
                                               To:       mabortz at rockwellcollins.com
                      07/23/2003 08:52         cc:
                      AM                       Subject:  Boat Regs for MN

Mark - Not sure how to get a reply out to all who see them message board,
but hopefully you can help on that.

Late yesterday, we received the final advise on registration and so forth.

All MN regulations are enforceable for this event.  Our permits do not
grant us an exclusion on registrations and floation.  I believe this is due
to the mixed authorities on the water way, but not positive.  I.e. Coast
Guard, Local Water Patrol/Sheriff, and City of Minneapolis.

Teams need to choose between compliance (sp?) and taking the risk of
getting stopped or not and the resulting fines.

The good news is that the Coast Guard will be stopping all commercial and
pleasure craft during each show.  They will be allowed to pass only between
shows.

For past events, when the coast guard boats are around, the local sheriff
hasn't come by the site.  They have checked the basics (fire ext. and
registration) at the ramp, but that's been it.  The "Coasties" haven't
checked us for floation, fire extinguishers, etc. in the six years we've
been at this site.

While I'm not familiar with temporary registrations, I've heard there may
be a $3 permit available from any MN vehicle registration office ?????

Hopefully this clears up the situation. Sort of reminds me of Nationals in
Ohio ('97 ?).  They were really tough on this stuff, plus made us buy an
Ohio permit for EVERY boat, even if already registered in it's respective
home state !

Wayne Priest
 Twin Cities River Rats